Ashes News - Latest Updates & Headlines
Former Australian pacer Gillespie feels lack of adaptability with bat will cost England the Ashes series
Melbourne, April 5: Former Australian pacer Jason Gillespie backed Australia to retain the Ashes 2025-26 series at home, saying that the conditions will offer enough support to Australian bowlers but that England could falter with the bat in Australian conditions, costing them the prestigious series.
Olly Stone to miss start of English summer after undergoing knee surgery
London, April 4: England pacer Olly Stone has been ruled out of all cricket for 14 weeks after undergoing a right knee surgery this week, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Friday.
Marsh needs to take decision on red-ball cricket and bowling future, says Johnson
New Delhi, April 3: Former Australia fast-bowler Mitchell Johnson said all-rounder Mitchell Marsh needs to decide whether he wants to still play red-ball cricket and more importantly, if he can shoulder bowling duties.
Charlotte Edwards announced as England's new head coach
London, April 1: England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced former skipper Charlott Edwards as the new head coach of England women's team on Tuesday.
Ben Stokes, Brydon Carse unavailable for selection as England preepare themselves for upcoming Test season
London, April 1: The England cricket team willl continue to miss the services of their skipper Ben Stokes and right-arm seamer Brydon Carse in the upcoming Test series against India and the Ashes as they are still recovering from their respective injuries.
Ex-captain Charlotte Edwards appointed England women's team head coach
London, April 1: Charlotte Edwards has been announced as the new head coach of the England women's team by the England and Wales Cricket Board on Tuesday. Edwards is a former England captain who represented her country over 300 times, winning two World Cups and lifting the Ashes five times across a 20-year playing career.
'Marsh got a skill set that could be helpful in Ashes', says Australia chief selector Bailey
Melbourne, April 1: Australia's chief selector George Bailey has said that experienced all-rounder Mitchell Marsh is still part of their plans for the 2025-26 Ashes to face England's pace-heavy bowling attack led by Jofra Archer and Mark Wood.
Ben Stokes to miss early County Championship games as he focuses on full recovery for England
London, March 31: England Test captain Ben Stokes will sit out the early stages of Durham's County Championship campaign as he continues to recover from hamstring surgery. However, head coach Ryan Campbell is confident that the all-rounder will be fully fit for England's summer fixtures, according to ESPNcricinfo.
Australia announce action-packed 2025/26 home season fixtures
Melbourne, March 30: Cricket Australia on Sunday announced a blockbuster schedule for the men and women's senior teams for the upcoming 2025/26 home season.
Ship has sailed on chances of becoming England's white-ball captain, says Joe Root
New Delhi, March 28: Premier England batter Joe Root said the ship has sailed on his chances of being England's next white-ball captain, adding that his focus is squarely on performing well in Tests against India and later in Australia during the Ashes.
Former England bowler Peter Lever passes away
New Delhi March 27: Former England and Lancashire player Peter Lever passed away following a short illness at 84. He served as England's bowling coach under Ray Illingworth and was inducted into the Lancashire Hall of Fame last year, as per a report by ESPNcricinfo.
Ugandan military tightens border security after deadly clashes in neighbouring Congo
Kampala, March 27: The Ugandan military has intensified screening and surveillance along its border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) following last week's clashes that left 242 Congolese militiamen dead.
Would have been pretty silly to turn down chance of opening for England in Tests, says Lawrence
New Delhi, March 27: England batter Dan Lawrence said it would have been pretty silly of him to have turned down the chance of opening the batting for the side in Tests, a role which he never played before in his first-class career.
ECB mourns demise of former England pacer Peter Lever
London, March 27: The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) condoled on Thursday the death of the former pacer Peter Lever, who died aged 84. Lever, who played in seventeen Tests and ten ODIs for England from 1970 to 1975, was a handy batsman too and a giant of England's domestic cricket.
Wouldn't say no to leadership role in England women's team: Charlie Dean
New Delhi, March 27: Off-spinner Charlie Dean has said she wouldn't say no if an offer comes her way of becoming the next captain of the England women's team.
IPL 2025: Key wishes for England's players to prioritise playing for national team, says Knight
New Delhi, March 27: Former England batter Nick Knight said the reason why many players from the country aren't showing much interest in featuring in the Indian Premier League (IPL) is because the men's team managing director Rob Key wishes for them to prioritise playing for the national team.
Heather Knight steps down as England skipper after 9 years
London, March 22: Following comprehensive bashing by Australia in the Women's Ashes, right-hand batter Heather Knight stepped down as the England skipper on Saturday after serving in the capacity for nine long years, according to the ICC website.
Another China-made K-8 aircraft crashes in Sri Lanka, raises safety concerns
Colombo, March 22: The crash of Sri Lankan Air Force's China-made K-8 trainer jet in the Wariyapola area on Friday has raised serious concerns about the safety and operational readiness of the remaining aircraft in service.
Heather Knight steps down as England captain after head coach Jon Lewis departure
London, March 22: Heather Knight has stepped down as England women's team captain after nearly nine years, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Saturday. The development comes a day after head coach Jon Lewis' departure following their 16-0 drubbing against Australia in the Ashes series. Knight will continue to be available for selection.
Jon Lewis steps down as England Women's head coach
New Delhi March 21: Jon Lewis has stepped down from his position as head coach of England Women. Following an evaluation of England's 16-0 defeat in the Women's Ashes in Australia, which came after their exit in the group stage at the T20 World Cup in October, the ECB disclosed on Friday that Lewis had departed from his role, as per a report by ESPNcricinfo.
'If they want to boo me, boo me': Warner to English crowd ahead of The Hundred debut
New Delhi, March 14: Former Australia batter David Warner has no issues with English cricket fans booing him during The Hundred this summer. In fact, he welcomes it.
Probably not the way to go about it: Warner's bold Ashes prediction for England's 'Bazball' brand of cricket
London, March 14: Former Australian opener David Warner said that Aussies are favourites for the home Ashes series against England late this year and the high-risk 'Bazball' cricket played by the Three Lions would not be suitable on Australian pitches.
Alana King's Ashes heroics earn her ICC Women's Player of the Month for February
Dubai, March 12: Alana King’s sensational performance during the Women’s Ashes has earned her the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for February 2025. The Australian leg spinner edged out strong competition from her teammate Annabel Sutherland and Thailand’s Thipatcha Putthawong to claim the prestigious accolade.
Alana King wins February's ICC Women's Player of the Month award
Dubai, March 12: Australia spinner Alana King on Wednesday was awarded February's Player of the Month following her exceptional performance against England in Women's Ashes
Over 1,000 die in 2 days of clashes in Syria
Damascus, March 9: More than 1,000 people died in two days of clashes between Syrian security forces and allied forces and supporters of ousted President Bashar Assad, DW reported a war monitoring group as stating.
Manipur: One killed, 27 cops among 43 people injured in clashes
Imphal, March 8: At least 43 people including 27 security personnel were injured and a protester was killed during the clashes in different districts as the Kuki-Zo tribal organisations protested against the resumption of the bus services between Imphal and the hill districts.
Syrian security forces kill former govt militant in clashes in capital: watchdog
Damascus, Feb 25: Syrian security forces killed Fawzi Layla, a former pro-Assad militant, and arrested several of his associates following overnight clashes in the capital Damascus, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported on Tuesday.
Beth Mooney claims Women's Player of the Month honour for January
Dubai, Feb 11: Australia opener Beth Mooney has been named the ICC Women's Player of the Month award for January 2025 for her dominant performance during the multi-format Ashes series against England.
Bangladesh begins Operation Devil Hunt amid tensions
Dhaka, February 8: Law enforcement forces in Bangladesh on Saturday launched "Operation Devil Hunt" after clashes between local people and anti-Sheikh Hasina students' groups.
Sam Konstas aims to become all-format player, recalls impersonating English icons
New Delhi, February 8: Australia's young prodigy Sam Konstas has set a long-term goal of becoming an all-format player after being overlooked for two Tests against Sri Lanka in the sub-continent.
Sutherland calls for more women's games at big stadiums
New Delhi, Feb 4: Fresh off winning the Belinda Clark Award, Annabel Sutherland has advocated for more women's matches at major stadiums, citing the record-breaking attendance at the recent Ashes Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) as proof that the all-conquering Australian team deserves to play on the biggest stages.
England CEO Connor admits team was outplayed in 16-0 Ashes drubbing
New Delhi, Feb 2: Following their latest setback against Australia's 16-0, Ashes defeat, Clare Connor, managing director of England women's cricket and deputy CEO of the English Cricket Board (ECB), acknowledged the scale of the challenge ahead, admitting that England were “outplayed in every facet of the game.”
Alana, Ash help Australia thrash England; sweep Women's Ashes series 16-0
Melbourne, Feb 1: It has been a summer of cricket to remember for Australia Women as they whitewashed their biggest rivals England Women 16-0 in the 2024-25 Ashes series. The hosts sealed the trophy with a massive victory by an innings & 122 runs at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Alana King was named player of the series having taken 23 wickets, nine in the Test match, at an average of 11.17 to equal Ash Garnder's record, when she picked 23 wickets in the 2023 Ashes series.
Women's Ashes: Tons from Sutherland, Mooney; King's 9-wicket haul guide Australia to victory over England by innings and 122 runs
Melbourne, February 1: Centuries from Annabel Sutherland and Beth Mooney in the first innings and Alana King's exceptional bowling performance across both innings stormed Australia to victory over England by an innings and 122 runs in the one-off Test match of the Women's Ashes 2025 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday.
Women's Ashes: Mooney makes history at MCG, becomes first women's Australian player with tons in all formats
Melbourne, February 1: Australian wicketkeeper-batter Beth Mooney made history on Saturday, slamming her maiden Test century and becoming the first-ever women's player from her country to have centuries across all formats.
Sutherland scripts history with MCG century as Australia dominate England
Melbourne, Jan 31: Annabel Sutherland etched her name into history on day two of the Ashes Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), becoming the first woman to score a Test century at the iconic venue. The young all-rounder played a masterful knock of 163 off 258 balls, guiding Australia to a commanding 422-5 at stumps, with a lead of 252 runs.
Alana King channels Shane Warne's legacy in MCG masterclass
Melbourne, January 31: Reflecting on her dominant leg-spin performance in Test whites at the MCG, Alana King hoped that somewhere, the late Shane Warne had been watching and enjoying the spectacle.
Women's Ashes: Alana King's four-fer restrict England to 170
Melbourne, January 30: Spinner Alana King, and seamers Kim Gart and Darcie Brown displayed good performance as Australia restricted England to 170 runs on the first day of the only Test match in Women's Ashes 2025 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Thursday.
Christina Matthews inducted into Australian Cricket Hall of Fame ahead of Women's Ashes Test
Melbourne, January 30: Christina Matthews, the former Australia wicketkeeper, vice-captain, and long-time cricket administrator, has been inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame. She received her award just before the opening day of the historic women's Ashes Test at the MCG.
Still wants more...: Molineux hails Perry as veteran copes with lean run in women's Ashes
Melbourne, January 29: Ahead of the one-off women's Ashes pink-ball Test against England on Thursday, Australian bowling all-rounder Sophie Molineux hailed veteran teammate Ellyse Perry for her hunger, saying that despite her 17 years in international cricket, the 34-year-old "still wants more".