Manipur govt announces Rs 10 lakh reward for info on missing Meitei youth

IANS March 30, 2025 136 views

The Manipur government has announced a Rs 10 lakh reward for information on missing Meitei youth Luwangthem Mukhesh. Security forces are conducting joint search operations across multiple districts. Mukhesh's family and activists met the Governor, urging swift action. Over 30 Meitei youths remain missing since ethnic clashes began last year.

"The state government has announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for credible information leading to Mukhesh's safe return." – Mayengbam Veto Singh
Imphal, March 29: The Manipur government on Saturday announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for providing the whereabouts of Meitei community youth Luwangthem Mukhesh (20), who went missing on March 16, an official said.

Key Points

1

Rs 10 lakh reward for info on missing Meitei youth

2

Joint ops by Manipur Police & Assam Rifles

3

JAC & parents met Governor Bhalla

4

Over 30 Meitei youths missing since ethnic violence

Joint Secretary of Home Department in the Manipur government, Mayengbam Veto Singh, said the state government urges citizens to come forward with any relevant information that could assist in the safe return of the missing person.

“The state government has also announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh to any informant who provides credible information leading to the safe return of Mukhesh,” Singh said in a statement.

The official said that Manipur Police under the supervision of a senior level officer, along with Assam Rifles and other security forces have conducted joint operations for search and rescue of the missing person in the vicinity of suspected areas in the districts of Bishnupur, Churachandpur and Noney and other parts of the state utilising advanced technical data analysis and intelligence gathering.

Members of the Joint Action Committee (JAC), who have been agitating since the youth went missing and demanding his rescue, along with his parents, met Governor Ajay Kumar Bhalla at Raj Bhavan last week. The Governor had said that the government is making all possible efforts to trace the missing youth, Luwangthem Mukhesh, and reunite him with his family.

The JAC members and Mukhesh’s parents urged the Governor to take urgent steps to locate him and ensure his safe return. “Governor told the JAC members as well as Mukhesh’s parents that the government is making all possible efforts to trace him at the earliest and reunite him with his family,” a Raj Bhavan official had said.

Mukhesh’s mother also earlier made a fervent appeal to the authorities to ensure the safety of her son. A police officer said that state police personnel, along with Assam Rifles and other Central force personnel, continued their search operations jointly and separately in Imphal West, Imphal East, Churachandpur, Bishnupur, and Kangpokpi districts to rescue Mukhesh, a resident of Keishampat Lelmajam Leikal area of Imphal West district.

Tracker dogs were also deployed to locate the missing youth while CCTV footage shows his vehicle was last seen in Bishnupur district near Chinikon, close to the Kuki-dominated Kangpokpi district. Mukhesh was reported missing after driving a car towards the tribal-dominated district of Churachandpur on March 16. Mukhesh’s family members registered a missing person report at the Imphal Police Station.

According to official reports, more than 30 youths belonging to the Meitei community have reportedly gone missing since the ethnic violence broke out in the state 22 months ago.

Tags:
You May Like!