Key Points
Violence erupted between two groups in Mothabari-Malda region on March 27
61 people arrested and internet suspended in affected areas
Police claim situation is now under control
Calcutta High Court ordered detailed report from local authorities
"At this point in time, I would not like to make any comment. Authorities would be taking effective steps. I will have my eyes and ears open and intervene when required," Governor Bose told ANI.
Violence broke out between two groups in the Mothabari-Malda area on March 27. Since then, 61 people have been arrested and internet had been suspended in three area.
Additional Director General (ADG) Law and Order Jawed Shamim said that the situation is completely under control, and 16 cases have been filed.
Speaking to ANI, ADG Jawed Shamim said, "The situation in Mothabari is completely under control. Till now, 19 cases have been registered, and 61 people have been arrested in this matter...Soon, the situation will be completely normal. Today, there have been no incidents (of violence) in the region."
Earlier, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit out at the Opposition parties after the tensions, reiterating the government's commitment to stopping the "riots."
"We are secular. Navratri is going on; I extend my best wishes for that as well, but we do not want riots to take place. Common people do not involve in such things only political parties do. This is a matter of shame. Earlier, the 'Laal' party used to give statements about secularism. Today, 'laal' and 'geua' have united. We will fight alone. We are ready to sacrifice our lives for all religions...The duty of the majority is to protect the minority, and the duty of the minority is to stay with the majority," CM Banerjee said.
Calcutta High Court had also ordered the Malda District Magistrate and the Superintendent of Police to submit a report on the violence.