Over 100 injured in fire after gas pipeline explosion in Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur

ANI April 1, 2025 228 views

A devastating gas pipeline explosion rocked Kuala Lumpur's Putra Heights suburb during the Eid holiday, causing widespread panic and injury. The blast, originating from a Petronas pipeline, resulted in 112 people being hurt, with 63 requiring hospitalization for burns and respiratory issues. Emergency services quickly responded, rescuing 82 residents and relocating them to a nearby mosque for safety. Despite the massive fire and property damage to 49 houses, no fatalities have been reported in this significant industrial accident.

"Efforts are underway to rescue trapped residents" - Selangor Disaster Management Unit
Kuala Lumpur, April 1: More than 100 people were injured in a fire that broke out following a gas pipeline leak on the outskirts of Myanmar's capital, Kuala Lumpur, on Tuesday, Al Jazeera reported.

Key Points

1

Petronas pipeline explosion caused massive fire in Putra Heights

2

112 people injured with 63 hospitalized

3

49 houses damaged during Eid celebration

4

Residents temporarily relocated to nearby mosque

The fire erupted after an explosion and fireball at 8:10 am (local time) on Tuesday in the suburb of Putra Heights, central Selangor state. The gas pipeline belonging to Malaysia's state-run energy firm Petronas.

Selangor's Chief Minister said that the blaze quickly spread, threatening nearby villages during a public holiday for Eid celebration, Al Jazeera reported, citing state news agency Bernama.

As many as 112 people were injured, with 63 of them taken to the hospital for burn injuries, breathing difficulties and other injuries, according to Selangor Deputy Police Chief Mohamad Zaini Abu Hassan, as reported by Al Jazeera. At least 49 houses were also damaged in the fire, Hassan added. No deaths have been reported in the incident.

In a statement, the state's disaster management unit said that efforts were underway to rescue trapped residents, with several people receiving treatment for burns, Al Jazeera reported.

Selangor's Chief Minister said 82 people had been rescued so far. The chief minister further said that residents will be temporarily moved to a nearby mosque until the situation is under control.

Tags:
You May Like!