100 hutments gutted in Gurugram fire

IANS March 29, 2025 190 views

A devastating early morning fire destroyed 100 makeshift homes in Gurugram's Basai Chowk slum. Fire officials responded quickly and prevented any casualties despite the dense settlement. Authorities highlighted ongoing concerns about illegal electricity and gas connections in these vulnerable communities. This incident follows a deadly fire last year that claimed four lives in the same district.

"We have written to concerned departments on several occasions to remove such encroachments" - Gulsan Kalra, Fire Department
Gurugram, March 29: At least 100 hutments in a slum at Gurugram's Basai Chowk area were gutted on Saturday, an official said.

Key Points

1

100 hutments destroyed in Basai Chowk slum fire

2

No injuries reported despite rapid spread

3

Officials blame illegal utility connections

4

Similar fatal fire occurred last year in Gurugram

The fire broke out at 6 a.m., the official said.

"Soon after the Fire Department received a call, fire tenders from different stations were pressed into service to douse the flames, which erupted in a hut," an official of the Fire Department said. The exact cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained.

"Firefighters managed to douse flames within a few hours, and nobody was injured in the incident," the official added.

Gulsan Kalra, Deputy Director of the Fire Department, said: "We have written to the concerned departments on several occasions to remove such encroachments in Gurugram so that we can curb the fire incidents."

"These hutments have illegal electricity and water connections. They also have a small gas cylinder, which usually bursts during the fire incidents. It is dangerous for them and the rescue team as well. We will soon write letters to the concerned departments to remove such hutments," he said.

Kalra also claimed that they have adequate manpower and infrastructure available to deal with such incidents.

"The departments must also investigate how the illegal huts received electricity connections and a water supply. These hutments have multiple electronic devices, including refrigerators and air conditioners. This needs to be checked on priority," he added.

Last year, four people were burnt alive after their rented room caught fire due to an electric short circuit in the Saraswati Enclave area of Gurugram.

Preliminary investigation suggested that the fire first erupted in an electrical item in the room. Later, the fire spread to the entire room located on the first floor of the multi-storeyed building.

Comments:

Rajesh M.

Thank god no one was hurt this time 😥 But when will authorities actually act on these illegal settlements instead of just sending letters?

Priya K.

This keeps happening every year! Those poor families lose everything. The government needs proper rehabilitation plans before just demolishing homes.

Amit S.

ACs and fridges in hutments? That's shocking. The electricity department should be held accountable for allowing these dangerous connections.

Neha P.

Fire department did great work containing it quickly. But why wait for tragedies to happen? Preventive action is needed urgently.

Vikram D.

Not taking sides but where will these people go if you remove hutments? The real issue is affordable housing in Gurugram.
Tags:
You May Like!